Thursday, December 15, 2011

August 23, 2011

Rainy airport
We were grounded on this day, after having made plans to fly to Kaiteur.  Kaiteur is a waterfall which is super important to my family, especially my Grandma.  Her and my Grandfather went on an expedition there in the 60's, which at that time, took several days.  Jeep, boat, jeep, hike... boat, jeep, camel (just kidding) hike, hike, hike, hike... climb the "oh my god" hill (actually called that) to the top of a 700+ foot waterfall.  Impressive, to say the least.

These days, you can take a plane (about the size of the one above) to the interior, where the river rushes over the edge of the falls.  It's almost a famous scene from my childhood, as I have seen so many photos of my grandparents there.  So I was really excited to go.

Grandma at Kaiteur, 1968


But mucking around, thousands of feet above the rainforest in a tiny plane during a storm is not really my thing.  As far as I'm concerned, people shouldn't really be able to fly in the first place, and definitely not in heavy, giant hunks of metal.  So this is actually the only photo from that day.  Taken while we were waiting for a decision to made about our travel.  We returned to the hotel shortly after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment