Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Guyana Calling (Promotional Trailer)

Now the fun starts.  My ticket is booked.  My bags are waiting to be packed, unpacked and then packed again, and I am starting to collect pieces of my family's life in order to reconstruct a history of what they have seen and experienced together.

This video is the result of a very small amount of work in comparison to the amount of work that lies ahead of me.  But I am so excited for this trip, I really have a hard time putting it into words!

Youtube is not letting me embed today, so to watch the video, go here!

Guyana Calling (Promotional Trailer)

I have even contacted my aunts and uncles about participating in the film as well, and they have responded positively and most have agreed to sit for interviews before I depart for Guyana.  I'll be posting an itinerary for those of you who are curious.

In any case, I tried to start a Kickstarter page to help with the fundraising for this project, but apparently I have to live in the US (which I'm not allowed to do anyway... ha ha ha) so I will have to use this as a fundraising site until I figure something else out.

In the meantime, I would like to offer something in return, if you decide to lend a hand, so I will do it like this:

With a donation of:

20 USD or more you get a hug
50 USD or more you get a hug and a limited edition numbered photo from Guyana when I get back
100 USD or more you get a hug, a limited edition photo and credit in the movie once it's edited

All donations can be made directly into the account I have set up for the film's fundraising, which I cannot post here, but can email to you if you like!  You can make the donations anonymous, but if you want your prize, you should probably tell me who you are ;)

The plan is to arrange some kind of photo exhibition as well, possibly in the fall or winter of this year, in my hometown of Kitchener - Waterloo, as well as a preview screening of the film at that time.

The money of course will go to the expense of travel.  It will also go to the massive amount of time needed to edit a documentary film, and to the eventual cost of distributing it to festivals and making the DVDs.  I have no definite goal, but I know everything comes up to about 3000 USD.  But every little bit counts!  So please don't be shy!

I would like to extend a special thank you already to Susanne Sävenholt and Iceland Explorer for helping to arrange my travel for this trip, and for her enthusiasm and support of what I'm trying to create!

That's all for now!  Spread the word to your friends, others who come from Guyana, others who have a family history that they care about, others who's family has been touched by loss, by immigration, by displacement, others who have felt a calling to do something outrageous to try and connect with their ancestors.  Just pass it along... and be well!

Warmest,

Alana

1 comment:

  1. Alana- your promotional trailer was very moving...I posted a comment there. "Keep on keepin' on" girl- we will definitely help with your calling as it is a story that needs to preserved as no one can tell it like a da Silva. I try to share the stories but it's not the same. We will definitely support you. Lot's of love, Heather (Kirk and family) xoxo

    ReplyDelete